Nine miles west of Montego Bay is a large private site overlooking perhaps the most glorious view of sea and sky on Jamaica’s renowned north coast. Elegantly perched on eight and a half acres atop this hill is Bambu, a grand six-bedroom private villa distinguished by its classic architecture and appreciated by discerning vacationers.
Nine miles west of Montego Bay is a large private site overlooking perhaps the most glorious view of sea and sky on Jamaica’s renowned north coast. Read More
BAMBU was designed by architect Robert Hartley in the early 1960’s as a unique melding of West Indies architecture and Italian Venetian style. Its Palladian arches, dramatic central pool, Italian sculptures and breathtaking view make it one of the most photographed homes in this collection. In 1974, images of Bambu appeared in Slim Aaron’s A Wonderful Time: An Intimate Portrait of the Good Life
Multiple dining areas take advantage of the spaciousness and vast views from this special property. Breakfast at the river is a marvelous way to start the day. Cocktails on the terrace over the bay and dinner in the gazebo feature one of the most beautiful nighttime light shows in the world.
Multi-million dollar renovations of interiors and grounds have resulted in an impressive facelift of this elegant grande dame. Wireless Internet, Apple television, new marble bathrooms and a state-of-the-art kitchen complement lovely new interiors. Today its modern comforts and infrastructure mesh with Bambu’s original Euro charm and glamor. As designer Charles Faudree wrote when it was featured on the cover of Veranda magazine, Bambu is the “….blending Old World elegance with New World comforts.” Its newest folly is an open-air garden shower and bathtub outside a small hideaway bedroom downhill from the main house ... with a nine-mile view across Montego Bay.
Notable also are Bambu's sprawling grounds and gardens. Headed by talented Sam, the gardeners have created a lush and lavish tropical paradise, with natural stone pathways that wind through gardens to unexpected terraces for private quiet times.
With handicap access in mind, a separate entrance designed specially for guests in wheel chairs features a ramp to a level entrance to the villa, avoiding all stairs. The Bambu pool features a broad 4" deep wheel chair platform as well. This shallow water platform is also a thoughtful, safe pool area for toddlers.
If you've left your pets at home while you're on vacation, be advised that Bambu is home to three affectionate Mastiff pups. At your preference, they may be allowed to roam the grounds and come in to play with the guests or be kept in their large, open-air kennel.
Master Bedroom - 500 sq ft + 130 sq ft Dressing Room and Office
High kingsize four-poster bed. Two separate Travertine marble his 'n' hers bathrooms feature double showerheads in each. From the bedroom, French doors open to a 26' covered verandah with a breathtaking view of the sea and the distant town of Montego Bay. The Master Suite is quite private from the rest of the villa. Both showers are handicap accessible.
High kingsize bed. Travertine marble en-suite bathroom with double sinks and spacious walk-in shower. French doors open directly onto south poolside terrace. Bedroom 2 can be considered the second Master.
Bedroom 3 - Children's Room
Two pairs of bunk beds, pink and white and very cute. The single door can remain bolted and locked to prevent unsupervised access to the pool terrace. A pass-through in the children's bathroom leads to Bedroom 4 next door, creating a connecting parent-child suite. Children’s room is suitable for children up to 12 years old.
Kingsize bed. En-suite Travertine marble bathroom connects to Children's Bedroom 3.
Two full/double beds. En-suite Travertine marble and has spacious walk-in shower.
Queen size bed. En-suite Travertine marble and has spacious walk-in shower. Read Less
- 6 baths
- Air conditioning
- Internet: High speed wireless
- Helicopter Pad
- 6-bedroom+ glamorous villa magnificently renovated in 2011
- 10,000-sq-ft home on 8-1/2 acres overlooking breathtaking panorama of Caribbean Sea
- full staff: butler, cook, housekeepers, gardeners, laundress
- 45’ diameter round pool with special section for toddlers
- wireless Internet
- TV den with granite bar and 52” television
- satellite, X-Box and Apple TV
- complimentary overseas calls to US, Canada and land lines in UK
- 2 defibrillators - butler trained to use
- handicap accessible: 2 seamless shower entrances, 8’ wheelchair platform in pool, accessible arrival entrance
- child friendly: connecting bedrooms, tree house, pool section for toddlers, nearby complimentary Kids Club
- The Tryall Club membership: complimentary beach, tennis, gym, pool, Hummingbird Kids Club, non-motorized water sports, Internet room, new Usain Bolt Games Room for kids, teens & adults, jogging trail, afternoon tea & Manager's Cocktail Party. For various fees: golf, tennis lessons, Happy Hour, hair salon & spa, bars & restaurants, boutique, motorized water sports, beach parties Mon-Wed-Fri